Hearty Banana Oat Muffins
These muffins are seriously delicious and will be the hit for a quick and easy breakfast or afternoon snack. I always seem to have over ripe bananas in my house and this is a great recipe to not let them go to waste! Omit the chocolate chips and add walnuts instead for an even healthier alternative.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Cups of mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup milk (coconut, almond work well too)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oatmeal, mashed banana, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and chocolate chips or walnuts.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the we mixture. Stir just until combined (don’t overmix!)
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the muffins will be dry. Remove them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before freezing in a ziplock freezer bag.